Thursday, July 19

Living in the past

No, this has nothing to do with a Jethro Tull song even if me does love the band.
Me be thinking about an incident that me believes be worth telling even if it raises the hackles on the back of yer neck in the same way as nails scraping the blackboard be do.

The event took place some thirteen years ago on a sunny afternoon while Me were walking from a convenience store to the parking lot where me kept me car. Me were on me way to teach an English lesson to some high school students who hated being in an after school study program, so me were not in a rush to get there and hoping to kill some time by meandering around the neighborhood.

Me made the usual purchases that one does at a 7-11, smokes, beverage and on that particularly fateful day, a package of almond covered chocolates.

As yours truly were strolling down the street casually munching on he snacks and sipping from the bottle of carbonated sugar water; a renegade chocolate found its way into me egregious maw and upon the comencement of mastication there were a distinct feeling that something weren't quite kosher. The almond, which should have been somewhat resiliant to the gnashing of me molars decided not to go down without a fight.

That particular nugget lodged itself into a weak spot in the enamel coating and split the damned thing! Me were standing in the middle of a fairly busy sidewalk spittin' out chocolate half chewed nuts and part of a tooth. Luckily it didn't work it's way through more than the surface or me might've passed out right there in front of a multitude of strangers.

Some years later and two weeks ago. Me were scoffing down a box of locally made sweets with a determined sense of gusto, when all of a sudden it were deja vu all over again.

While biting into a candy covered nut Me felt the cap that were placed on me tooth all those years ago give way. This time me were spittin out hot coffe, silver half eaten nuts as well as confectionary.

The Monster be living without any insurance at the moment and has no recourse to inexpensive dental care. Now me be living on yoghurt, white bread and nothing harder or more sticky than a plate of day old spaghetti.

Me not wantin to complain about me problems.

Me thinks that such things be better off handled on one's own, but me just wanted you to know that iffin the way me be talkin to all youse folks out there be seeming kinda odd, it be becausing that me be dealing with a jagged tooth that won't let me eat, speak or move me mouth normally without fear of doing worse damage or shredding the inside of me cheek.

The Vixen might like that me be kinda quiet these days.

Me no chewin the fat.

23 comments:

puerileuwaite said...

Not to worry, green one. If perfect dental work was a prerequisite for happiness, both the U.K. and the south would have the highest suicide rates.

Why I personally have known of women who still were popular on the dating scene despite their lack of natural teeth. Perhaps even MORE popular than some of their peers, for some odd reason.

Pink said...

hey! we in the UK are offended.


Poor Scary and your broken fang.

I guess it goes to show that sweets really ARE bad for your teeth. YOUR teeth. not mine.

feel better soon.
xx
pinks

Scary Monster said...

Pug, me fearless canine commando. The broken tooth has only affected me eating habits not me aestetic appeal.

Pink~ It not be the sweets, but rather the nuts. It just goes to show you that me shouldn't be puttin nuts in me mouth.

omg what did me just type!?!


STOMPIN MACHISMO

Gaby Hess said...

Scary Monster, I am even more frightened of you now that I know that you have a jagged tooth. Someone, hold me.

ADW said...

Awww. Poor Poor Monster. I believe that somewhere around where you reside there should be colleges and or trade schools that do dental programs. When I was without insurance, I actually went to one of these because they do the work for you at a small fraction of the cost so their students can get hands on experience. Of course there is something to be said for working with professionals and I now have a 2" hole in my cheek, but we all have to roll the dice sometime (=

Serena said...

Oh, you poor little monster. I know that broken tooth must hurt like a sumbeach. Are there any free clinics offering dental services there? Universities with dental programs whose students could work on you? I just hate to think of you in all that pain and living on yogurt. :(

Scary Monster said...

Sexy Singleton~ Me be callin meself Jagged Monster now.
Crunch.

ADW & SJ~ Wonderful ladies! Thanks for yer concern. The fact is that the nerve isnt exposed [yet] knock on wood, so me not be feelin any pain.
Here be a more disturbing fact. Me teaches at the prefectural university and many of me students be attending the local medical school and there be NO WAY me gonna let any of them boobs near me choppers.

STOMP.

Anonymous said...

Oh darling, I sooo feel your pain...

Outdoorsy Girl said...

Ouchy! Maybe you can buy some soft wax to cover it up with until you get it fixed so you won't cut up your cheek. My orthodontist gave me some when I was a nerd girl with braces because the braces cut up the inside of my lips. That sucked.

I am always worried that I'm going to crack my teeth, too, because I am always grinding them.

Ed & Jeanne said...

Bummer SM. Dental problems are a never ending source of irritation; sort of like the government. Try a dental school or free dental clinic. Just some thoughts.

The Grunt said...

Yow! Tooth pain is the worst. It's like you have bare live wires in each tooth just waiting to arc.

Yogurt is at least tasty. It still isn't as good as a ribeye steak.

Camille Alexa said...

That's the stuff of nightmares.

RevRee said...

All is not lost! You can still have sex, right?

See, there, it's not so bad afterall!

Helene said...

lmao... ok so you really just needed some TLC and all your possie here came to the rescue... ohhhhhhhhhh poooooooooooor Scary Monster............. hehehe

I have had several crowns (I have knocked out my fair share of teeth! lol ya not what you expected from me but... lol) The dentist always puts on a temporary crown b4 ordering the real one. That temp is generally pretty cheap... perhaps it can hold you over... or you can get them to just fill it... uggg I can only imagine how that must hurt! yikes!

Looking on the bright side, its an instant diet! Hummmm let me know if it works, I may have a go at it since nothing else seems to be working!

Ok I really stomped over to give you your interview questions... perhaps I will just email them to you now that I have written a virtual book here!

Hope you arent in much pain!

Mighty Dyckerson said...

Me suggest you stop gargling with Kool-Aid. SQUISH!

Libby said...

sm-i have to agree with what the other people said about a college student or someone fixing it...that's how i got my nose job 22 yrs ago! well, i guess he was a medical student in osu med school...

Scary Monster said...

Grrl~ And Me, Yours. Me can get me tooth fixed, but you will have to be strong and endure much more than the Monster. Keep the faith.

O-Girl~ The wax sounds like a good idea, but Me might just try to use it like bubble gum. Do you remember them wax candies they used to sell? Shaped like lips and soda bottles.

VE~ It's funny, Me never really had any problems with me teeth except fer this one particular thing. Wish Me could say the same thing about governments.

Cap'n~ Mebbe me could put the steak and the yoghurt in a blender and make a meaty shake.

Camilla~ Yup. But the alarm clock be about ready to ring.

revree~ That be true. There is a party this weekend and mebbe iffin Me can get Mrs. Monster drunk she'll pass out and then Me could find someone to have sex with.

Kate~ Will get on the questions right away. Me dislikes temporary measures. Me prefer to wait till the dntist be ready to do the real thing.

Mr. Dyckerson~ Thank you for your suggestion, but Kool-aid tastes better than O.J. when me gargles. Might just switch to kerosene though.

Libby~ Only as a last resort, dear.
Me teaches students and Me has absolutely no confidence in them whatsoever.


STUMBLE, STOMP!

Mayden' s Voyage said...

I am sorry~
After 14 months of braces and all the aches and pains that come with mouth stuff- I feel for you.
I worry that you will get an infection though...so be careful.
And O-Girl suggested what I would advise, dental wax might be a big help :)

Scary Monster said...

Mrs.C Thanks fer the concern. Me has just applied a liberal coating of Mrs. Monsters hair styling wax to me tooth. That should hold me over for a day or two.
STOMP.

Corn Dog said...

At least you spit your busted tooth out. I thought it was some resistant popcorn seed and I ate mine. Tasty.

tfg said...

Try gargling with Listerine. Not only will it help prevent infection but the alcohol will numb/kill any exposed nerve endings.

Scary Monster said...

Corn dog~ First time around Me didn't even realise the damn thang had broken and me were chewing on the tooth fer a bit until me realized that the "almond" had a different than usual texture and crunchiness.

tfg~ There's alchohol in listerine??? What the hell have Me been wastin me money on gin fer? Me gonna go out and see iffin Me can get wasted on the stuff.

Mayden' s Voyage said...

Sigh...
You are exactly like my brother-
EXACTLY!
:D